The Carolina Panthers will try to get their first football franchise championship title against the Denver Broncos this weekend, as they play in the Super Bowl 50. Each team brings their own strengths that could help them overcome and win the game, but there are certain interesting facts that may work in their favor when being pressured by their opponents. We all know that the Panthers have an amazing overall team, with the offense led by Cam Newton; who has scored 45 touchdowns (35 passing, 10 rushing). Their defense is also in the top tier of the league, however, the Broncos defense is on a whole other level. They have been able to keep teams from scoring too much, being fourth in point allowed per game. Their offense is not doing as well, but hopefully Peyton Manning can rally his strength and talent for one more game.
Broncos Interesting Facts
- The Broncos defense have only allowed opposing offenses to get more than 30-points just once this season. It happened during Week 15 against the Pittsburgh Steelers, and was one of their only losses during the regular season. They have kept teams to an average 18.5 points per game, ranking fourth in the league.
- The defense generated pressure on opposing quarterbacks 35% of defensive snaps; this makes them the highest in the NFL in terms of pressure. This is thanks to their front four, including linebackers Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware.
- They went 11-3 this season in games that had a margin on 7 points or less, making them the team with most close wins in league history. With a close score during the Super Bowl would mean they have great odds of winning.
- Their quarterback, Manning, will have appeared in four Super Bowls. It was done under four different head coaches, but he has completed 90 out of 132 passes (68.2%), making him the second-best quarterback in NFL history who have played in multiple Bowls.
- Last time they faced each other, the Broncos beat the Panthers 36-14. It was between Manning and Newton in 2012, where they sacked Newton seven times and intercepted twice.
Panthers Interesting Facts
- Newton accounts for the majority of their offensive touchdowns this season (79.3%). He has run the ball for 10 touchdowns himself, making him a dangerous and mobile quarterback; almost on the same level as the top running backs of the league.
- Offensive line allowed Newton get hit only 61 times, the third lowest in the league. He was only hit three time in two playoff games.
- The Panthers have gotten big leads in the first half of the game. The offense has been able to post huge scores in the first half of each game, giving them an average 13-points per game margin.
- Their rushing has gotten 100 yards or more in 31 consecutive games. They tied one game, and lost six during this period, but it still gives them a 22-9 record. However, the Broncos have only allowed seven games with 100 or more rushing yards this season.
- Ron Rivera, current head coach for the Panthers, faced Manning and the Colts when he was coach of the Chicago Bears in Super Bowl XLI, and lost. He may have learned from his mistakes and is ready to play proper football.